Best training in Brisbane!!

Widely known as Australia`s premier martial arts/action magazine. A monthly publication, featuring interviews and articles on the world`s best martial artists.

Best training in Brisbane!!

Postby adeano » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:55 pm

Hey all, hi. Its been a while. I am now living in Brisbane and am looking for a really good place to train.

I am only interested in things such as bjj, mma, ffs, rbsd... basically anything alive and effective. And no payment plans or contracts.

Ive googled Dean Lawler but don't know if he is teaching or where or if he is taking new students. Any info? What about other good places?

any info appreciated.

Cheers all :)
adeano
Threat to the Big Boys
Threat to the Big Boys

Re: Best training in Brisbane!!

Postby Joe Saunders » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:15 pm

Hi mate,

I'm in Brisbane but unfortunately not currently taking students as I'm in the process of moving to a new training location. Hoping to have a training group of some kind up and running by mid-December. I'll give you some options to tide you over:

MMA: You can't get better than Integrated Martial Arts on Wolverhampton St, Stafford. Dan Higgins is the coach. One of the greatest MMA coaches in the country. Direct connection and regular training with Greg Jackson MMA in the USA. Turned out 5 Australian champs with several having competed successfully overseas.

BJJ: For no-gi, see above. For gi jiujitsu, your best bet is Garra BJJ at Kelvin Grove (Eduardo Dias instructor.)

FFS: I've done some training with Ray, as have a few other guys around, but Brett Fenton at Red Dragon Kung Fu is the only Brisbane-based FFS instructor.

RBSD: Paul Johnstone at Mt Gravatt apparently has a pretty slick RBSD program with his Street-Edge system. He has hosted KAPAP and Rich Dimitri seminars and is pretty switched on to emerging trends in self defence. I believe Paul has also trained with Ray.

What side of town are you on? I might be able to offer some more local opportunities.
Joe Saunders
Senshido Australia
www.Joe-Saunders.com

Senshido Training: Brisbane, Gold Coast, Newcastle, Sydney, Melbourne
Seminars available nationwide upon request.
Joe Saunders
World Champion!
World Champion!

Postby Makiwara » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:21 am

Joe you forgot to mention a JKA school..... :D
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.

Bruce Lee
Makiwara
World Champion!
World Champion!

Postby hquick@bigpond.com » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:05 am

Mark Haseman....Tohkon Ryu Jujitsu.
hquick@bigpond.com
Can you say N-E-W-B-I-E?
Can you say N-E-W-B-I-E?

Postby Davo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:41 am

I'd recommend Joe come mid December - only a few weeks away .....

There's also plans for a two day ISR in Toowoomba this November and that would set an excellent foundation for training with Joe or for anything RBSD, clinch or grappling related.
Davo
Threat to the Big Boys
Threat to the Big Boys

Postby Dean Whittle » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:09 pm

Wayne Roy ... www.ninjutsuaustralia.com ... more RBSD than you probably think.

With respect
Dean Whittle

Postby tgf76 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:38 pm

Joe Saunders wrote:Hi mate,

I'm in Brisbane but unfortunately not currently taking students as I'm in the process of moving to a new training location. Hoping to have a training group of some kind up and running by mid-December. I'll give you some options to tide you over:

MMA: You can't get better than Integrated Martial Arts on Wolverhampton St, Stafford. Dan Higgins is the coach. One of the greatest MMA coaches in the country. Direct connection and regular training with Greg Jackson MMA in the USA. Turned out 5 Australian champs with several having competed successfully overseas.

BJJ: For no-gi, see above. For gi jiujitsu, your best bet is Garra BJJ at Kelvin Grove (Eduardo Dias instructor.)

FFS: I've done some training with Ray, as have a few other guys around, but Brett Fenton at Red Dragon Kung Fu is the only Brisbane-based FFS instructor.

RBSD: Paul Johnstone at Mt Gravatt apparently has a pretty slick RBSD program with his Street-Edge system. He has hosted KAPAP and Rich Dimitri seminars and is pretty switched on to emerging trends in self defence. I believe Paul has also trained with Ray.

What side of town are you on? I might be able to offer some more local opportunities.

Hey mate northside around maybe Caboolture would be nice, luv to come and do some training at your club.
tgf76
Can you say N-E-W-B-I-E?
Can you say N-E-W-B-I-E?

Postby adeano » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:32 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Appreciated.

Joe, Integrated MA looks like it is about 5mins away from where I live. Might have to check that out me thinks.

Am interested in checking your stuff out as well come december. Keep everyone informed :)

Think I might settle with some MMA for a bit, get those core skills up to speed then look around at RBSD stuff. Especially cause the MMA is SOOOO close. Thats great news Joe, cheers. Will look into doing the ISR thing as well. Have been trying to get on one of those good RBSD courses for a while now just been conflicting with work.

Again, thanks for the feedback. Just saved me about 2 months of trial and error!!!!!!!!!! :D
adeano
Threat to the Big Boys
Threat to the Big Boys

Postby kravmonsta » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:37 pm

g'day and welcome to brissy. I practice Krav Maga with the IKMF. no BS and legit. Ash Gard is the instructor.
and is a really nice guy and know his stuff. http://www.kravmaga.org.au/

Ian Jacobs has powerhouse NRG in Stafford and there is a full on MMA school upstairs run by a bloke named Danny who is suppose to be one of the best.
someone has already mentioned Haseman at PCYC at Suncorp stadium.
i have not trained there, just heard really good things.
there is plenty of choice here. some are crap and out for $$$ so do your homework and shop around. good luck :mrgreen:
so that one may walk in peace.
kravmonsta
Fighting Up The Rankings
Fighting Up The Rankings

Postby adeano » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:15 pm

went to Integrated MMA, Danny Higgins gym. Was good. Will be going there. Enjoyed it. Quite a few good guys there.

Did no-gi. Mine is not much good atm. rusty. No handles hehe. And quickly realised underhooks are so much more vital. As I was thinking about getting an underhook, the other guy would already be snaking it in... timing is a little slow. But that is why training is so good! :)

Will be there again for sure. Anyone in Brissy recommend it if that sort of thing interests you.
adeano
Threat to the Big Boys
Threat to the Big Boys

Return to Bulletin board